Thursday, August 14, 2008

Nearly finished with sheetrock

The Drywallers did the final sanding of the sheetrock today and will hopefully begin the light texturing tomorrow. I was hoping we'd be able to start painting the ceilings Monday, but I think they'll be putting on the primer Monday. We'll see. We're off all next week so I'm hoping to get the whole house painted.

This picture is of one of the skylights in the family room. I love how much light they let in, as well as the view of the tall fir trees. I've also been very impressed with the quality of the work these guys have done, it's exceptional! I can see why Trace says they're the best on the Island. This stage of the process is a little boring since we're basically just watching mud dry, but as I look back at the pictures it's pretty amazing the transformation a little, or a lot of mud makes in finishing a house. I'm also really glad we decided to pay them to finish the basement, especially when I look at the sheetrock we did in the remodel of the cabin. We're definately NOT professionals!


I placed the order for the cabinets today after working on the design all week with the cabinet designer from Island Lumber. I've been modifying the plans for months so I'm glad the cabinets are ordered and I can finally stop worrying them. Of course we ran over budget (since we changed the whole layout of the space), but everybody I talk to says it will be worth it to get the kitchen you really want. I sure hope so! I'm getting very anxious about things going over budget. I hope we make it through this whole thing with a little left in the bank. Thank goodness for our little cabin that we've lived in for the last 3 years, for free! Without it, we'd NEVER have been able to build (thanks Dad for building it 20 years ago!). We also wouldn't be building if it weren't for the generosity of my mom in letting us build on the property she owned. Thanks mom! We feel very blessed, but still stressed :)


Hopefully the kitchen will turn out something like this. I guess we'll see in another month!




Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

McDolan said...

wait those are only half charis :) just giving you a bad time- can't wait to see it again!

McDolan said...

I meant chairs - but really barstools..

Hailey said...

Jenny, you guys are going to have an awesome kitchen!! I'm so excited to come over with Sarah and Merry sometime in December - we'll have to cook a fabulous meal together :)

Unknown said...

YAY! I can't wait!!! It am so excited to see it all painted. It will make such a big difference! And then all the appliances and hardware and fixtures!! SOOO EXCITING!

Marty and Jenny said...

Thanks gals. Picturing us all together in the new kitchen sitting on the full bar stools :) or cooking up some yummy concoction sounds wonderful. It makes all the planning worth it! I'm so tired, I can't wait for it to all be done! I feel like an Olympic athlete reaching the final stretch, feeling the ache, wanting to slow down, maybe even take a short rest, but I'm heading for the finish line and giving it all I've got. Let's hope I make it :) I Love you girls and can't wait for a December reunion. Merry and Hailey--maybe I'll see you guys sooner. :)